11:06:00

Write from the start - The Borneo Post Online Berita Sarawak - News 2 Sarawak


Write from the start - The Borneo Post Online

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 07:35 PM PDT

by Neville DCruz. Posted on June 26, 2014, Thursday

MELBOURNE: Even from the time she was a little girl, Amy Han, whose father is from Sarawak, had no doubt what she was going to be.

"I can't remember a time when I was not telling everybody I was going to grow up to be an author," the 29-year-old says.

"When I started school, I discovered how much I loved to write. I started making 'books', stapling paper together and copying out my favourite stories. I did not know it then, but that is actually an excellent way to get used to the act of writing, and also to learn how stories work".

Amy was born in Wellington, New Zealand, but moved to Australia with her parents – George, an IT project manager, and Yvonne, a lawyer.

"My dad grew up in Miri, Sarawak. His parents sent him to Wellington to finish high school and attend university, and it was at university that he met my mum.

"Mum grew up in Wellington but was born in Hong Kong. After my parents married and had their first child – me – we moved to Melbourne when I was eight months old".

Amy's artistic streak began to shine through from an early age.

"I was a very creative child," she says.

"I remember seeing toy kitchen sets being advertised on TV and, instead of asking my parents to buy me one, I went straight to my dad's study for cardboard, scissors and tape so I could make them myself. I made myself paper handbags complete with paper lipsticks and a paper mirror inside.

"I also loved to read, to watch mum read her big crime novels at night, and to listen to dad's bedtime stories, which were all about his childhood; all the mischief he got up to as a little boy growing up in Miri, Sarawak. It all seemed so foreign to me from my home in leafy, suburban, multicultural Doncaster (Melbourne) with my beloved pet cat.

"My favourite stories as a child were 'Fern Gully', the Selby series, the 'Little Princess' trilogy, and all of the fairy tales that were made into Disney films".

Amy has so far written and published two novels – 'Ru Dreaming in 2011', and 'Breaking Jumps' this year – as well as a collection of short stories and three picture books.

"Ru Dreaming is aimed at middle readers and is about a girl named Ru's first year in high school, and her sense of feeling torn between her oldest best friend and the new friends she is making, and not to mention the boy she has a crush on.

"Breaking Jumps is aimed at teenagers and young adults and follows two teenagers – Jess and Ollie – as they get to know each other over a dramatic night, escaping from a gang they become tangled up with, and saving a friend.

"The short story collection, 'A Trip to Somewhere Else', is an e-book of interlinked stories all alluding to questions about love, life, and what it means to follow your heart.

"The three picture books are out of print; they were a special project for which I collaborated with students at Doncaster Primary School – my old school.

The kids illustrated the books. It was fun to see how they interpreted each of the pages".

In 2012, Amy left a full-time job in marketing to pursue a business idea and dedicate more time to writing.

That idea has grown into Creative Write-it!, which aims to inspire and encourage young people through creative writing workshops.

"Currently I am still a one-woman show, but I hope to expand soon. I run weekly workshops, visit schools upon request and run holiday programmes.

"It has been a huge learning curve but also an incredibly rewarding experience as I continue to shape Creative Write-it! into 'that thing' I wished was around when I was a kid".

Amy says she would love to tour the world promoting her books when she becomes more well-known, and might one day consider a book launch in Miri to honour her Malaysian heritage, but for now she has plenty on her plate with Creative Write-It! and her own writing.

"I now have four ideas in the works for new novels, all aimed at kids or young adults. I think a part of me will always be young let's hope.

"They may not all make it to completion, but it's an exciting place to be".

Links:amyhan.com.au; creativewriteit.com.au — Bernama

Print Friendly

Go Bald satellite shave at Curtin <b>Sarawak</b> a success – BorneoPost <b>...</b>

Posted: 14 May 2014 12:06 PM PDT

MIRI: The second satellite shave at Curtin University Sarawak (Curtin Sarawak) yesterday, in support of the Sarawak Children's Cancer Society (SCCS) Go Bald 6.0 campaign, was a great success.

Seventy students and staff compared to only 53 last year took part in the campaign.

"At Curtin Sarawak, we believe in supporting our community in any way we can, taking into consideration the interest of the community, and adopting an intensely hands-on philosophy when it comes to community engagement. We believe that donations of time, facilities and services are just as important as writing cheques," said the university's corporation communications manager Nicholas Leong at the launch yesterday.

Among those present were SCCS secretary and outstation liaison officer (northern zone) Jocelyn Hee and other staff of Curtin Sarawak.

Leong assured that Curtin Sarawak will continue to support the Go bald campaign as long as it continues.

Meanwhile, several participants interviewed said the campaign encouraged them to care more about the less fortunate including children cancer patients.

"Going bald is not weird for me. This is my fourth times joining this charitable campaign and so far I managed to raise over RM700 and hope to raise more by May 25," said Curtin Sarawak corporate communications officer Ling Yii Yang.

Sabahan mass communication student Reine Beryl when interviewed said "I have no regret shaving my hair for charity. It is a pleasure to help whenever we can and we will organise another project for SCCS in August this year."

Another Sabahan, chemical engineering student Wong Gin Wai who raised RM300 said "This campaign is great in helping me to be more charitable."

Bradly Endes, one of the four staff of Curtin Sarawak's Students Services Department participating, said, "I feel honoured to help to increase awareness of childhood cancer and provide an avenue for the public to contribute to the well-being of child cancer sufferers."

Hee meanwhile, appealed for continued public support for all their projects.

"Those in Miri who are not able to come for today's satellite shave can come for the main Go Bald event at Bintang Megamall on May 25 or to the ParkCity Mall in Bintulu (May 18)," she said.

Those who want to contribute can donate directly to SCCS, raise funds by pledging to go bald, pick up the Go Bald pledge cards to solicit for funds for SCCS. The cards are available at the Somerset Hotel here.

For further details, contact Hee at 609-8841161 or visit www.gobald.my.

SCCS aims to raise RM1.5 million through the Go Bald event this year for its various projects such as providing food and accommodation at SCCS centre for patients seeking treatment at SarawakGeneral Hospital, and to set up a transit home here to cater to outstation patients and their families.

Print Friendly

Curtin <b>Sarawak</b> among 10 varsities receiving gold award <b>...</b>

Posted: 21 Jun 2014 11:43 AM PDT

MIRI: Curtin University Sarawak (Curtin Sarawak) did the nation proud when it won recognition alongside 18 other universities worldwide, with the Gold Standard award from the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE).

The Gold Standard Student Chapter 2014 Award was conferred recently to Curtin's SPE Student Chapter.

Other award recipients were universities from the Netherlands, Germany, Scotland, United States, Mexico, Brazil, Pakistan, India, Nigeria, Ukraine and Saudi Arabia.

According to Curtin Sarawak SPE Student Chapter president Ian Chang Huan Sheng, the criteria for the conferment of the award is based on programmes and activities organised by the chapter as well as level of participation in a single academic year.

"Our committee members are thankful to those who have supported and contributed towards our student chapter's activities and learning.

"As we reflect on a year of exponential growth and engagement, we look forward to organising more events to benefit our students as well as industry partners," said Chang in a statement.

SPE is the largest individual-member organisation serving managers, engineers, scientists and other professionals worldwide in the upstream segment of the oil and gas industry.

Its student chapters are university-based groups of SPE student members. Presently, there are over 300 SPE student chapters worldwide.

Curtin Sarawak SPE Student Chapter, established in March 2013, currently has about 200 members. It is one of the four SPE student chapters in Malaysia and the first in East Malaysia.

The chapter allows its members to network with industry professionals and employers.

They can also benefit from technology discussions and meet practicing professionals at SPE meetings and events, receive society sponsored scholarships and enjoy discounts on textbooks, reference books, and other society publications. In addition, they can participate in various SPE programmes, online communities and paper contests.

Print Friendly